The Bible is much more than a book of stories and rules from the past. It’s rich with a relevant message God has for us today. Join First UMC El Dorado for worship as we discover how to engage with the Bible like never before and how to apply it to our lives each and every day.
- August 17 – Making Sense of the Bible
- August 24 – The Old Testament in Fifteen Minutes
- August 31 – The New Testament in Fifteen Minutes
- September 7 – Is the Bible God’s Word?
- September 14 – Violence, Suffering and Other Troubling Issues
- September 21 – How to Study the Bible
What is this sermon about?
This sermon is about the Bible and some of the basics of what it is and is not.
Why is this sermon important?
This sermon is important because it addresses some of misconceptions about the Bible and gives an overview of the story found in the book which is the essential guide to our Christian faith.
What is the context of this sermon?
This is the first sermon in our back to school kickoff series for 2014. It is Promotion Sunday, which means that children will move to their new classrooms in Sunday School and third graders will receive a Bible.
Some of the key resources for this sermon and series include: Wrestling with the Bible sermon series at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection (http://j.mp/1kI57lS); txt sermon series at LifeChurch.tv (http://j.mp/1t5aqv7) and the book Making Sense of the Bible by Adam Hamilton.
What are the next action steps?
- Live a life defined by the story of the Bible, especially the story of Jesus.
- Let the Bible capture your deepest hopes and greatest aspirations.
- Allow the person you hope to be and who you are today to be shaped by what is in the Bible
- Seek to understand and be able to wrestle with the difficult places in the Bible
- Find a deep longing to open up the Bible and read it.
What is the good news (bottom line)?
The good news is that we can be part of God’s story that we read about in the Bible.