Invitation to the Old Testament approaches the Hebrew Scriptures by inviting participants to hear the story of God and God’s calling of the people of Israel through the many “voices” of the biblical text. Narrative, poem, history, and prophetic utterance all have their own distinctive characteristics and purpose, arising out of a particular historical, social, and cultural setting. To understand fully the story of God’s covenantal relationship with Israel calls for listening to these various ways the story its told throughout the Old Testament.
You are invited to this video-based Bible study which incorporates in-depth study of the biblical text, weekly preparation, accountability in a small group setting, and a call to more faithful discipleship.
This course will meet from 6:00-7:30 pm on Wednesdays at 421 W Central Avenue; El Dorado, KS 67042.
- October 7 – Orientation and Introduction
- October 14 – The Making of the Hebrew Bible
- October 21 – The Creation Story of Israel
- October 28 – Out of Bondage
- November 4 – Promise and Problem in the Land
- November 11– Israel Has a King
- November 18 – Division and the Rise of Prophecy
- November 25 – The Alpha Course will not meet on Thanksgiving week.
- December 2 – Exile and Response
- December 9 – Restoration and Renewal
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much is it?
- There is no charge for Invitation to the Old Testament
- Is childcare available?
- Free childcare is available for children from 4 months through 5th grade.
- What about a meal?
- There will be a free dinner for adults and children provided each week.
- Is the course only for people with advanced Bible knowledge?
- No. It is designed for people with a variety of biblical knowledge.
- How can I invite my friends?
- You can invite them to visit vhttp://www.FirstUMCElDorado.org/OldTestament.